Does this sound familiar?
- Is your partner so jealous or possessive
that you feel like you have to give reasons for everything
you do or places you go, or people you see?
- Does he/she make you feel bad about
yourself or tell you that no one would want to go out with
- Does he/she tell you how to dress or
how to wear your hair, etc?
- Do you apologize for their behavior
when they treat you badly?
- Does your partner scare you by smashing
things, yelling at you or driving recklessly?
- Does he/she follow you around at school
or in the community?
- Has your partner ever made or sometimes
carried out threats to hurt you physically or emotionally?
- Has your partner ever threatened suicide
if you leave the relationship?
- Has he/she threatened to break up with
you if you don't do what they want?
- Does he/she keep track of all your
time – where you are going, who you are with, etc.
- Does he/she constantly phone, instant
message or page you?
- Does he/she constantly accuse you of
flirting with other guys/girls or act extremely jealous?
- Does you partner make you have sex when
you don't want to or perform sexual acts you don't want
- Does he/she make you feel unattractive,
sexually ashamed or humiliated?
- Does your partner treat you like an
object or make sexist expectations like, "You're a
man, your role is to..." or "You're a woman your
role is to..."?
- Has your partner pushed or shoved you?
- Has your partner physically restrained
you from leaving a room or blocked the doorway so you have
no access to leave?
- Has your partner hit, punched, slapped,
or choked you?
- Has your partner thrown something at
you to hurt you?
- Has your partner threatened to use
a weapon against you?
- Has your partner ever taken the phone
away from you when you are calling for help?
If you can answer yes to any of the
questions above, you may be in an abusive or unhealthy relationship
and there is help for you.